Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Story Virus v5

So begins Story Virus, v5.

For those unfamiliar, here's a recap:

Here's what I would like to do. I want to create a story that branches out in a variety of different, unexpected ways. I don't know how realistic it is, but that's what I'm aiming for. Hopefully, at least one thread of the story can make a decent number of hops before it dies out.

If you are one of the carriers of this story virus (i.e. you have been tagged and choose to contribute to it), you will have one responsibility, in addition to contributing your own piece of the story: you will have to tag at least one person that continues your story thread. So, say you tag five people. If four people decide to not participate, it's okay, as long as the fifth one does. And if all five participate, well that's five interesting threads the story spins off into.

Not a requirement, but something your readers would appreciate: to help people trace your own particular thread of the narrative, it will be helpful if you include links to the chapters preceding yours.

There always has to be a start of a story, so here it is.

***

The mall was crowded. There were happy people, angry people, people in a hurry, even a few people sleeping on benches. To the security guard, they were a blur of coats, hats and scarves. He was just beginning his second eight hour shift. He yawned, leaning against a pillar in the food court, the aftertaste of terrible mall cookies lingering on his tongue. His eyes abruptly snapped open with the loud sound of glass shattering behind him.

***

Please continue this story virus.

I tag:

Randal G
Tantra Flower
Matt Debenham
FranIAm
Amy Guth
Freida Bee
Cormac Brown
Becca
Dr MVM
Bubs
Vikkitikkitavi
Liberality
Some Guy
Doc
Snape
Chef Cthulhu
SamuraiFrog
Flannery Alden
Megan
Blue Gal

10 comments:

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I accept your challenge.

Doc said...

Thank you for the nod but you've tagged everyone I would have. Oh well, I'll give it a go.

Have you considered joining Cormac's Flash Fiction Friday?

Doc

Splotchy said...

Y'know, he sent me something regarding it, but I wasn't doing a lot at the time.

I'll check it out this week.

Cormac Brown said...

Yes, I need something to cleanse the crime-writing side of brain and this is it!

I just put up a post asking for starter sentences and if you don't want to distract yourself from this incarnation of the Story Virus, you could still contribute a starter sentence (hint, hint, it would be very much appreciated).

Randal Graves said...

What Doc said, you sneaky bastard. I only know like three people on the internets that write.

Cormac Brown said...

Sorry, I didn't see that you already tagged Doc. I'm running really behind today, and here's my first contribution.

Ubermilf said...

my contribution

David Barber said...

This has been a great idea, although one or two of us may have thrown a curveball in there.... ;-)
All the best, David.

Anonymous said...

I took up the challenge. Like number nine in the proceedings.
This was a great start.

domboy said...

Though he had only nine bullets, he killed them all ...