Monday, June 7, 2010

Splotchy's Contribution To The Food & Drink Mix

Here's a discussion of my selections for Food & Drink, Volume 20 of the Green Monkey Music Project.


Bucket of Grease - Les McCann
Okay, so I start out with a song that is stretching the mix's theme, I know (unless you routinely sit down and ingest a large container of grease). In my defense, look at the album cover. They are standing in front of a fast food joint. So, "Bucket of Grease" CLEARLY refers to food, yes? I think the album cover pic might be of a place on Maxwell Street in Chicago. I think I might have eaten there, actually. This song has a great start -- a 1-2-3-4 count-off that leads into a killer piano riff. It's a great way to start a mix.





Lady Marmalade - Labelle
You might be more familiar with this song as "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi (ce soir)". A great, funky song. It holds up after repeated listenings.







Hold All The Butter - The Bats
A nice, cheery song from the New Zealand band The Bats. Maybe a little too cheery. DEAL WITH IT.







Have A Cuppa Tea - Kinks
A nice little slice of homespun British pop. From the record Muswell Hillbillies.






You Left The Water Running - Wilson Pickett
Wilson Pickett is awesome. He has one of the best voices ever.







Hooch - The Melvins
Not sure if this works in the mix. It might be too jarring a transition from Wilson Pickett. I had thought about replacing the previous song with "Tropical Hot Dog Night" by Captain Beefheart, but... I didn't. I have no idea what this song is supposed to be about. I don't think I am supposed to know.




Champagne and Misery - The Clean
Some more New Zealand pop, this time from one of my favorite bands, The Clean. The word "Misery" is in the song title, so I hope it reduces some of the cheeriness of "Hold All The Butter" for you, Dr. Gloomypants.







Potato Chips - Slim Gaillard
I first became aware of Slim Gaillard through Jack Kerouac's book On The Road. His music has a nice, playful silliness. And he loves potato chips!

3 comments:

Some Guy said...

That's funny. I learned about Slim Gaillard the exact same way and have that very same album. He's a lot of fun.

Toofer said...

Adam Green – Salty Candy ** This guy is like a wonderful whimsical idiot genius. His songs don’t often make sense (or do they???), but they’re always funny. I hope that’s his intention. Otherwise, it just got weirder.

Blitzen Trapper – Gold For Bread ** Great track on an all around great album. If you haven’t heard the album’s title track, Furr, do yourself a favor. It’s “Best of” worthy. (best of 2009, best of Blitzen Trapper, best of most music)

The Cure – Mint Car ** This song is happy Cure, if that’s a thing. It’s also full of Robert Smith’s patented non-verbal exclamations, which I have a real soft spot for.

George Thorogood – One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer ** A hardcore drinking song. And bourbon/beer combo is my third favorite combo (2 is The Dark Knight Returns w/ the Melvins’ Houdini. 1 is pizzeria/pretzel.)

Minutemen – Jesus and Tequila ** Like a bizarre punk Captain Beefheart song, this tune is funky, fresh, and makes me want to drink some Jesus. I mean…

Reel Big Fish – Beer ** Hey college version of me! This song isn’t that good! What’s that? You don’t care because you just started drinking beer and think that it makes you cool? Oh, okay. Well, you’ll get over it.

Dangerdoom – Mincemeat ** I wanted to write that this is an often overlooked album, but I’m not sure that it is. But it’s an album based on Adult Swim characters, produced by DangerMouse (of Grey Album fame) and MF Doom on the mic. I’d say it’s pretty essential for anyone living in the now/know.

Cake – Nugget ** So this song might be the best song ever written about chicken mcnuggets. You don’t think so? Well, you know what? Shut the F#&* up.

Tenacious S said...

Yummy!