Monday, June 9, 2008

A Hand-Me-Down From God Knows Where

Hey, it's time for another one song mix!

Have you heard All Tomorrow's Parties, off the Velvet Underground's first album?

It's a nice song, sung by Nico, kind of hard to describe -- maybe formal and pounding?

Anyways, I flipped when I recently heard a cover of the VU song by the 1980's Athens, GA band The Method Actors.

The Method Actors - All Tomorrow's Parties

I wasn't aware of The Method Actors when they were actively playing. I actually discovered these guys back when I was downloading a lot of music from newsgroups in the late 90's.

I had no idea who they were, but I saw that their double-album Little Figures was available for download. I thought to myself, "Hm. Method Actors. That's kind of a cool name."

Don't underestimate the fun of picking up something just because you like the name of the band, or like the album cover, or whatever. I picked up Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation 'cause I thought, "Hm, that's a nice picture of a candle."

Anyways, The Method Actors are now one of my favorite bands. Unfortunately, I don't have all their music. This weekend, I visited their MySpace page and heard this amazing song.

I don't know, it's just awesome -- awesome and worthy of a one-song mix.

So enjoy it (or don't)!

No comments: