Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Bar Game For The Solitary Drinker



I don't really go to the bars that much. It's great that people don't smoke in them in Illinois any more, but I still don't like them. I don't really drink alcohol too much either (cakey chocolate treats are my primary vice), just the occasional beer now and then.

However, every once in a while I can go for a beer. I went out for a walk a few nights ago and decided to have a beer in the middle of it. There's a bar about a mile from my house, which makes it a nice halfway point (Irish Times, if you must know).

Anyways, the few times I have popped in for a midwalk beer, I have had a relatively good time. I've heard some nice music, struck up a conversation with someone sitting next to me, etc.

This last time I was relaxing for a few minutes at Irish Times. I was witness to a conversation where this girl would not stop talking. It was amazing to me that so many words could be strung together that say so little. I do know this:

A) She is moving
B) She's tough, and wouldn't ask a guy to help her move, unless there was a couch involved
C) She has a rainbow comforter
D) She has a lot of body pillows on her bed (whatever those are)

So, I focused my attention elsewhere, well, ANYWHERE but the rainbow comforter woman.

To pass the time, I looked at the bottles sitting behind the bar and reversed their names (in my head, though my lips *might* have been silently moving).

If you're a little bored at a bar, you may find yourself amused by this stupid little game.

Reversing the name can potentially change the contents of a bottle.

Example:

Chopin [vodka] turns into Nipohc. Hmm, sounds Japanese. A label of sake?

Red Stag reverses into the very satisfying Gats Der. I don't know what that is, but I would like a cup.

Unfortunately, not all liquors survive the reversal in a happy state.

I don't know that Yabmob Nigyrd is going to be on a shelf any time soon.


(Previously)

5 comments:

Doc said...

I enjoy Yabmob Nigyrd, but only in an initram with lots of olives.

Doc

Randal Graves said...

Isn't Gats Der the Dutch ambassador to the UN?

lahru said...

emit eht ssap ot yaw doog

Ricky Shambles said...

When I do go to a bar by my lonesome (not so much anymore), I always went to write and drink in a dark space. So when I heard an idiot conversation in my periphery, it was always a thrilling moment to take some notes and help build a character, or at least a tale of idiocy.

Thank you for conveying the interaction.

Distributorcap said...

time for a shot of aliuqet
i need it