Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Gimme That Old Time Music

I don't want to give anyone whiplash, but since the last volume of the Green Monkey Music Project, The Unheard Monkey, focused on music that was released 2005 and later, I thought it would be interesting to make Volume 19 of GMMP focus on older music.

Much older music. I would like to only use recordings that are pre-1950. If you have a newer recording of an old song that you would like to include, we can always negotiate, I suppose.

There will be a total of seven participants (six open slots), each of which can select up to six songs.

Sign up for the mix by leaving a comment.


UPDATE:

Participants:

Some Guy
Bubs
SamuraiFrog
Chef Cthulhu
Domboy
Splotchy
Splotchy's Dad

If Domboy wants to join in, he is certainly welcome (he had expressed interest in an earlier post of mine).

Yes, my dad is joining in on this mix. He is an avid collector of jazz 78's, and he has agreed to contribute some magical selections this time around.

13 comments:

Some Guy said...

I think I confirmed my desire to participate, but in case I didn't, allow me to do so.

Splotchy said...

Welcome aboard and thank you!

SamuraiFrog said...

I'd still like to be on board, too.

Chef Cthulhu said...

I'd love to...do we actually have to sniff out the old, old recordings, or faithful modern recordings of old songs?

Splotchy said...

I was originally going to be a stickler and say only the old recordings, but I don't know, if it feels okay, then okay.

And, technically, I'll probably be the one doing the sniffing.

Joe said...

I'd like a shot at it.

Some Guy said...

My picks:

Are You Hep To The Jive?
Cab Calloway (1947)

Lulu's Back In Town
Fats Waller (194?)

Tiger Rag
Art Tatum (1933)

Chinatown, My Chinatown
Louis Armstrong (1931)

Serenade To A Poodle
Slim Gaillard (1947)

Cabbage Greens, No. 1
Champion Jack Dupree (1940)

Chef Cthulhu said...

K...here's mine:

"It's A Long Way to Tipperary" (Albert Farrington, 1915)

"Pack up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bags" (Helen Clark, 1917)

"We'll Meet Again" (Vera Lynn, 1939)

"The Sinking of the Reuben James" (Woody Guthrie, 1942)

"I'll Be Seeing You" (Billie Holiday, 1945)

"Destroyer Life" (Oscar Brand, 1960) - this is the earliest recording I can find (and have) of a pre-WWII Navy song. If you want me to pick another one, I will.

Timothy Donavan Russell said...

There was music before 1950? Weird.

Splotchy said...

Here's mine:

After You've Gone - Django Reinhardt
Reckless Night on Board an Ocean Liner - Raymond Scott
A Survivor from Warsaw - Arnold Schoenberg
Honky Tonkin' - Hank Williams
Keep On The Sunny Side - The Carter Family
Rhapsody In Blue - George Gershwin

Splotchy said...

My dad's picks:

Heartaches - Ted Weems
Sentimental Journey - Les Brown
Near You - Francis Craig
Peg Of My Heart - The Harmonicats
Careless - Eddy Howard
In The Mood - Glenn Miller

domboy said...

I'm in, I'm in! ...

T-Bone Walker – “T-Bone Shuffle” (sometime between 1947 and 1949)
Leadbelly – “Where Did You Sleep Last Night?” (sometime between 1944 and 1948)
Washboard Sam – “I Just Can’t Help It” (1947)
Skip James – “Hard Time Killing Floor Blues” (approx 1931)
Sonny Boy Williamson (aka John Lee Curtis Williamson) – “Good Morning Little Schoolgirl” (1937)
The Ink Spots – I Don’t Want To Set The World On Fire” (1941)

Extra special bonus track:
Fats Waller – “Ain’t Misbehavin’” (1943)

SamuraiFrog said...

Here are mine:

Sweet Lorraine - Frank Sinatra
Lovesick Blues - Hank Williams
My Little Maid of Oz - Frederick Chapin
Georgia on My Mind - Django Reinhardt
La Mer - Charles Trenet
Brazil (Samba) - Charles Woolcott and His Orchestra