Friday, November 21, 2008

Splotchy's Synonyms, Vol 3

Previous entries:
Vol 1
Vol 2

1. matriculate
Definition: to enroll in a college or university as a candidate for a degree
Why I Won't Use It: It sounds like you're giving birth.
What I'll Use Instead: "I am going to that one college."


2. foppish
Definition: resembling or befitting a fop; excessively refined and fastidious in taste and manner
Why I Won't Use It: I so rarely run into fops these days.
What I'll Use Instead: "Dorky"


3. frisson
Definition: a sudden, passing sensation of excitement; a shudder of emotion; thrill
Why I Won't Use It: I can't stop thinking it has something to do with frying chicken.
What I'll Use Instead: "A yeehaw moment."


4. splendiferous
Definition: splendid; magnificent; fine.
Why I Won't Use It: I think to say this I would have to be gesturing widely while holding a fairy wand that shot sparkles (I don't own a sparkle-shooting fairy wand).
What I'll Use Instead: "Really cool"


5. literati
Definition: persons of scholarly or literary attainments; intellectuals.
Why I Won't Use It: I might be mistaken for a person of scholarly or literary attainment.
What I'll Use Instead: "Smartypants"


6. moribund
Definition: in a dying state; near death.
Why I Won't Use It: I just don't like the way this word sounds.
What I'll Use Instead: "Almost dead"


7. treacly
Definition: contrived or unrestrained sentimentality
Why I Won't Use It: I don't know. You tell me.
What I'll Use Instead: "Sappy"


8. quotidian
Definition: daily: usual or customary; everyday: ordinary
Why I Won't Use It: Quotidian sounds like the name of a shitty prog rock band.
What I'll Use Instead: Any of the quotidian words in the above definition.


9. berm
Definition: the bank of a canal or the shoulder of a road.
Why I Won't Use It: I LOVE this word. I LOVE IT. I just never talk about berms is all.
What I'll Use Instead: n/a


10. cacophonous
Definition: having a harsh or discordant sound
Why I Won't Use It: The word cacophonous shouldn't be pretty-sounding. It should sound harsh!
What I'll Use Instead: "Fucking loud"

3 comments:

Freida Bee said...

I am afraid I think splendiferous a really cool word, though it does bring iron-rich Splenda to mind. I just saw an advertisement for Splenda with Fiber, so I'm pretty sure that's going to be their next product.

I guess moribund means "fecund with death." Pleasant.

Comrade Kevin said...

Treacly sounds like a word used to describe a dessert.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I don't use literati, but have been know to describe the masses as "illiterati" :-)