Friday, March 7, 2008

Max and DPK Interview, Part 4


Here is the fourth and final part of some excerpts from an interview conducted by Max The Drunken Severed Head with my adopted actor, David Patrick Kelly.

The interview was conducted in Pittsburgh on May 19th, 2007.

In this portion of the interview, Kelly shares some thoughts about Brandon Lee with Max and Max's wife Jane.


Some background:
On March 31, 1993, during the filming of The Crow, Brandon Lee was accidentally shot and killed as a result of a firearm malfunction. Lee was twenty-eight. David Patrick Kelly played the character T-Bird in the film.


DPK:
The first time I met Brandon Lee, I said to him, "You know your father was a big influence on me!"


Max:
Really? Ah!


DPK:
Brandon said, "He was on me, too!" [laughs]. And he was, Bruce was a great genius. Brandon was too.. He was.. It was just a horrible tragedy.


Jane:
It is tragic.


DPK:
Yeah.


Jane:
He had a presence, you could tell in the film, you know? He really did.


DPK:
And a passion, and RESPECT. He was such a nice kid. He was such a, he was so respectful of the process. He worked so hard. Film was such a hard thing for him to do. And I want him to be here, rather than the film, but we finished the film for him. And I think he would have been proud.

It was kind of a "Rebel Without a Cause" for the goth kids, it really was. I didn't even realize it until years later. I wouldn't even look at it for years.

3 comments:

Diamond Dave Diggler said...

This interview is really interesting! All the parts! I had forgotten that DPK was T-Bird!

"FIRE IT UP!...FIRE IT UP!"

awesome.

Freida Bee said...

Sir Splotch, Tagged you are.

Comrade Kevin said...

I cut and pasted all of these together so I can read them all later as part of a cohesive unit. :)