Monday, June 11, 2007

Adopt-An-Actor

I call on the bloggers of the world to adopt an actor.

I would recommend you pick a character actor, as they are the unsung heroes of the entertainment world.

By adopting Character Actor X you are not expected to be an exhaustive resource on X, nor are you expected to have seen all movies in which X acted. No, none of that crap.

I would only ask that you promote the actor from time to time, and occasionally keep tabs on their progress (assuming he or she isn't dead). If you want to do it up nice, make a l'il space on your blog where you can have a picture of them.

Now that we have that out of the way, if you're thinking about adopting David Patrick Kelly, FORGET IT. I have adopted him.

David Patrick Kelly is the best part of a lot of movies that he has acted in. His first movie role was in The Warriors where he delivered the immortal line "Warriors, come out to play-ee-ay!"

Directors Walter Hill and Spike Lee cast Mr. Kelly on a regular basis.

He's got this knack for being very natural, no matter how cheesy the lines he's given, whether it's in sorta silly sci-fi movie Dreamscape or the wonderful Ahnold movie Commando.

I had thought up until today that Mr. Kelly was the person who fired the gun that killed Brandon Lee during the filming of The Crow, but after doing a little bit of research it appears that it was another actor that pulled the trigger.

This makes me feel better.

This is the first post devoted to my adoptee, but not the last.

Go, David, Go!

24 comments:

lulu said...

I've adopted mine.

Joe said...

Great idea! I have an actor picked out, but even though he's technically still alive he hasn't made any movies in about 20 years. Does that still count?

Splotchy said...

Yes, it counts!

It just makes your periodic updates a little easier.

Splotchy said...

and lulu, you don't need me to tell you that you rock, do you?

'cause you do...

Johnny Yen said...

I dibs Brad Dourif!

lulu said...

I know. But I still like to hear it.

GETkristiLOVE said...

Well, I just adopted a cat, so I'm afraid I won't have time and energy to focus on all the needs of an actor. But if I did, it would be this one.

Splotchy said...

kristi, I want Mark Harmon to have my babies now!

That's a great story.

Splotchy said...

mr. yen, I have always liked Brad Dourif, but the like turned into love once I saw him in Deadwood.

A friend of mine worked as a Production Assistant on the first Child's Play movie. One of his tasks was to pick up Brad Dourif from the airport. He said Mr. Dourif was all spooked out about something (maybe it was my friend).

SamuraiFrog said...

David Patrick Kelly quoting from Paradise Lost before he dies in The Crow is one of my favorite movie moments.

I was weirded out when he showed up in Flags of Our Fathers as President Truman, but he's just so damn awesome.

Splotchy said...

It's been so long since I have seen The Crow, I should check it out again.

I remember my viewing was colored by the fact that I thought DPK was the guy who shot Brandon Lee.

I can't believe I thought this for such a long time. Oh well.

Coaster Punchman said...

I've adopted my actor.

Splotchy said...

duly noted, cp.

Dr. Zaius said...

My adopted actor is Boris Karloff.

Dr. Zaius said...

Also Mae West.

Splotchy said...

dr z, karloff and west are now noted as sharing bunkbeds in your abode.

The Idea Of Progress said...

I've come to this game late, but I heard about this from Grant Miller Media, and I wanted to join in on the fun.

That being said, I've adopted mine.

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

What the hell... I've adopted Colm Meaney.

Splotchy said...

bsuwg, you've been added to the roster!

Unknown said...

I wanted to adopt Mark Harmon until I saw he was taken (naturally!), so I'll settle for Michael Weatherly.

Suzan

Welcome to Pottersville

Anonymous said...

Dear Distinguished Splotchy,

I was referred here by Tim from the Cushy Blog, after I adopted an actor and actress after following your lead.

I respectfully submit that my adopted thespians are John C. McGinley and Judy Reyes.

Hopefully these will be considered legal adoptions in the eyes of Splotchy.

Thank you.
--Johann

Scott said...

I am getting in on this as well. My adoption is David Strathairn.

Richjr37 said...

Can i adopt John Barrowman?(Dr. Who,Torchwood)

Splotchy said...

Can i adopt John Barrowman?(Dr. Who,Torchwood)

Yes! Just announce your intent to adopt Mr. Barrowman on your own blog, give me the link, then it's official!