Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Ann Who?

So, it appears that Ann Coulter is bubbling up all over the place again. I'm assuming you already know the details. Even if you don't, the details aren't really related to the point I'm trying to make.

People get angry -- people get very angry at the things she says.

Okay, sure, she says some heinous things. But isn't that her purpose, to provoke outrage?

What else does she have?

Ann is like the sensationalist news stories we obsessively follow and decry. In the media soup, Ann Coulter is the equivalent of a cop shooting his wife and children.

She keeps popping up in our culture because of a need for people to feel outrage.

Do any conservatives actually think she is any kind of worthwhile advocate for their views and values? If a conservative does like Coulter, is it for any reason other than she makes people (or as Ann would say, "liberals") angry?

So what do you do? How do you respond?

Probably the first step is to not get angry. That's really her only power over you and I. In her particular case, I believe ignoring her is the best course of action.

But before you get to the ignoring, check out this post of mine. She sounds pretty funny with a James Brown backbeat.

8 comments:

kim said...

I have friends who own a CD store in Forest Park. Lots of democrats. My friend's very Republican brother came in and started bragging about how he met Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter at a fundraiser.

She really couldn't wait for him to exit the store as to not offend her clientele!

Some Guy said...

I admit, I took the bait and got pissed as my post today illustrates. My frustration is more with the people who put her on their shows as if her political views are of any consequence or importance. I really do feel ashamed that I got so riled up.

By the way, thanks for the link!

Splotchy said...

kim, can you give me the address? Because I have a heartwarming Nixon Family Christmas story they would *so* love to hear (kidding!).

chris, I have gotten angry at Coulter plenty of times. I usedta watch Bill Maher on Politically Incorrect where he would have Coulter or some analogue of her on his show, which I always found infuriating, because they had nothing interesting to say, and would invariably dominate the conversation. I was just thinking how to combat this kinda crap. I still think the best remedy for Coulter, and shows that have the stomach to put her on, is simply not to watch. But I do feel your anger, and it's nothing to be ashamed of!

Johnny Yen said...

You know, Splotchy, you probably don't think of yourself as a political blogger, but in your way, you're one of the best political bloggers around. Thanks for the post idea.

Splotchy said...

Thanks a lot, jy. I don't know if what you say is true, but it's certainly nice of you to say it.

J.D. said...

You fool! Do not speak her name, for a hundred thousand demons from the fiery pit shall destroy us all! You fool! YOU BLEW IT UP!

Splotchy said...

Whose name?

Ann Coulter?

Is that the name you are talking about -- Ann Coulter?

J.D. said...

YOU FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU'VE DAMNED US ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!