Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Film Snob Meets The Bank Job

Hey, hey, hey, let's visit the LaGrange.

What's on tap for the 9:00-ish shows?

Juno - Seen it!

The Bucket List - Seeing this movie isn't on my bucket list, nor will it likely ever be.

Fool's Gold - Ooh, another Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson romantic comedy. I think the fact that I watched How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days on an airplane with the sound off gives me the right to skip this one.

The Bank Job - Sure, let's go!



So there's a few plot threads being woven in and out throughout the duration of the film, but essentially The Bank Job is a story about a group of people led by Jason Statham who rob a bank in England, and then proceed to extricate themselves from several sticky situations that arise from robbing the bank. It is based on a true story, or as the movie's tagline puts it, "The true story of a heist gone wrong... in all the right ways." YEAH!!!!! (that YEAH was sarcastic, by the way).

Based on the previous movies I had seen with Statham (the mind-numbingly goofy Transporter movies, the sort-of okay Jet Li vehicle The One), I was a little surprised that this movie was rather understated, with little violence or action. But there were lots of boobies. Plenty of boobies.

Statham sported probably the most comprehensive set of facial stubble I have seen since the films of Sergio Leone. Unfortunately, I did not sit through the end credits to see if a Stubble Wrangler had been employed.

An actor who played a cop in the first couple seasons of the British series Prime Suspect has a reasonably large part in this movie as, um, a cop. But he's a bad cop! Take that, pigeonholing casting directors!

Overall, this movie was a little long, a little overcomplicated, a little light on action. But everyone talked British, so that's something, I guess.

Cheers!

4 comments:

Dr. Zaius said...

Being a Stubble Wrangler is proably harder than it sounds...

dguzman said...

...and yet they get all the chicks.

heals. said...

the bucket list made me want to go stick my head in a toilet.

Falwless said...

This review was tight.