Wednesday, May 21, 2008

One Zero Zero Zero

Hey, it's my 1,000th post on I, Splotchy!

I'll use this entrance into quadruple-digit posting to share some goodness that blogging has brought me.

For one, my brain is more alert. I used to (and to be honest, still do) suffer from Zombie Worker Syndrome, where during the week I am one of the undead going from home to work, work to lunch, lunch to work, work to home, home to bed. It's an easy rut to travel in, but it's not what I would call the apex of living. This blog has made my brain much more active. The juices flow. I can't say I don't stagger through my day from time to time, but I believe I've shed at least a portion of my zombieness.

Starting my negative space signage blog has pushed me out of the house on a self-created scavenger hunt. There have been some nice side effects of being on the hunt -- I've noticed lots of interesting architecture, and have wandered a lot of neighborhoods and cities I have never been to before.

A Blog Of Notes has made me more alert to the sound environment we all move through on a daily basis. Yesterday my train was sitting still, and I noticed a freight train next to us start moving. The wheels of the train starting making this high-pitched musical squeak. I immediately pulled my audio recorder out of my backpack and recorded the sounds. During the two minutes the train went by us, a really eerie, haunting song unfolded for me, and it was all due to the fact that I was being alert and listening.

Eerie Freight Train

Link

And of course, I am very grateful for all the people I have connected with since starting this blog. I initially met people through Bubs, and then over the course of time I somehow knew a lot more people. It was neat how it just sort of organically happened.

Along the way I have realized how connectedness is something really important to me. A lot of the things I try out, whether it be 60 Second doodles, collaborative mix tapes, or adopting actors all have a way of connecting me with other people.

So, anyways, I don't know that I'll be doing this forever, but it's been fun so far. I'll try and hold off on doing one of these posts again until I get to One Zero Zero Zero Zero.

13 comments:

dguzman said...

Go, Splotch, go! You're the most active zombie I know.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Hey, congrats to you on your milestone as well.

Fran said...

Your Mille Borne!

Yay you!!!!

SamuraiFrog said...

Congrats congrats congrats!

Some Guy said...

One of the best blogs, bar none. Congrats!

Freida Bee said...

1000 posts? Crap I think I missed a few before I discovered your blog, but I haven't missed a post since.

Timothy Donavan Russell said...

Yeah, man. Congrats. That's a lot of posts. And many more...

Blogging is good for you.

I love the sound. It sounds like it was really something in 3D when you were there, awake.

See you soon!

Timothy Donavan Russell said...

Sorry, the link was to have been this.

Splotchy said...

d, braaaaaaaaiins!

jon, right back at ya! Uh oh, we are stuck in a congratulatory loop!

FranIAm, indeed!

sf, thank ya thank ya thank ya!

Some Guy, oh stop, I'm blushin'.

freida b, I thank you for your vigilance!

Tim, that's a lovely article. It really has been therapeutic for me. And that sound would have been oodles better if I had some binaural microphones :).

Distributorcap said...

1000 huh? and i am the cube root of that ---as a commenter on that

Writeprocrastinator said...

Congrats on the grand, you are as every bit blog prolific as Becky said you were!

Dale said...

You're a true original Splotchy! Keep up the great work.

Randal Graves said...

Welp, too late to party like it's 999. Congratulations anyway. You win nothing!