Monday, December 15, 2008

Counting Numb3r5 With The Green Monkey

There's not a lot of time left in 2008, but I think there should be just enough for another glorious Green Monkey mix.

So, let's celebrate music together with Volume 14 of the GMMP series: Numb3r5.

For those intimidated by previous monkey mixes, this one might be a mix for you to try. Of course, the brave-hearted who have participated in the past are also welcome to play.

There is only one rule for this mix, and it is very simple.

All the selections must have a number of some sort in the title. There can be an actual number in the title, or the number can be spelled out (i.e. "Two"). I'll even allow adjectives like "Seventh".

For Numb3r5, there will be eight total participants who have six selections to choose. With me in the mix, that leaves seven open slots.

Let's have some mathematical fun, already! Leave a comment if you want to participate.


UPDATE:

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I *think* the slots have been filled. If I have included you as a participant and you don't want to play, please let me know.

Anyways, here's the people who like the number fun:

Allen L.
Dale
SamuraiFrog
GETkristiLOVE
theultramundane
Bull
Flannery Alden
Splotchy


Participants, please leave your choices (song/artist) as a comment on this post. I'll do the legwork of pulling the songs together.

If I can't find a song, I might bug you for it, but I normally can get everything myself.

30 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Dang, I was going to suggest something like this when it was my turn to co host one of these with you.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Actually my idea was to a do 'Name and number" mix. All songs would have to have a name and or a number in the title, for example,"867-5309/Jenny" or "In the Year 2525."

Allen Lulu said...

Oh, yeah. I dig. I wanna play.

Joe said...

Cool idea, but I gots to sit this one out. I'm still working on my idea for the end of the year.

Dale said...

Hey, I know some numbers!

SamuraiFrog said...

I'd love to play!

GETkristiLOVE said...

Okay, I have ONE in mind...

Bull said...

Sounds like fun...if you don't mind a newbie, I'll give it a hack.

theultramundane said...

I've got a good one - it's one of the most requested songs on our jukebox right now too.

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Mine are up...

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I think I'm number seven, if Dr. MVM isn't playing.

Splotchy said...

dr mvm, sorry for pulling the rug from under you!

bubs, I look forward to your mix with great anticipation!

bull, newbies are welcome!

Splotchy said...

Holy frijoles Flannery, you are one quick mix selection picker!

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I feared I jumped the gun...but you caught me in the mood to post and nothing to post about.

Thanks, Splotchy!

theultramundane said...

how do i post our song? i'm confused.

theultramundane said...

crisis averted. i got it. they're up.

Splotchy said...

Flannery's picks:

Four Minutes to Save the World, by Justin Timberlake/Madonna
500 Miles, the Proclaimers
1999, Prince
99 Red Balloons, Nena
Just the Two of Us, Bill Withers & Grover Washington Jr
Gimme Three Steps - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Allen Lulu said...

What's the deadline?

Splotchy said...

theultramundane's picks:

Strawberry Letter 23 - Brothers Johnson
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - George Thoroughgood
Take Five - Dave Brubeck
10 A.M. Automatic - The Black Keys
$100 Groom - Paul Westerberg
Love Me Two Times - The Doors

Splotchy said...

Allen, I don't know. Next Monday?

Splotchy said...

Oh, Flannery, thanks for putting that Proclaimers song in my head.

NOW I WILL NEVER GET IT OUT.

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Catchy, ain't it?

Bull said...

Here y'go...

Zero - Smashing Pumpkins
Three Sisters - Jim Carrol Band
Four Sticks - Led Zeppelin
Six Pack - Black Flag
Louis Quatorze - Bow Wow Wow
22 Acacia Avenue - Iron Maiden

Splotchy said...

Bull, and in numerically-ascending order, even!

GETkristiLOVE said...

I had to include, my favorite number:

Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams
Edge of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks
If I Had a $1,000,000 - Bare Naked Ladies
Four Leaf Clover - Abra Moore
#41 - Dave Matthews Band
6th Avenue Heartache - Wallflowers

Allen Lulu said...

Okay. Here's mine. And shut up about number 4. Sugary, poppy, power-pop confection.

1. My Hero, Zero - Lemonheads
2. One More Minute - Weird Al
3. Death on 2 Legs - Queen
4. Three Small Words - Josie and the Pussycats
5. Sixty-eight Guns - The Alarm
6. Julia, we don't live in the 60's - The Indelicates

Splotchy said...

Here's mine!

1. Four Thousand Days - Luna
2. Every 1's A Winner - Hot Chocolate
3. From A Motel 6 #2 - Yo La Tengo
4. 106 Beats That - Wire
5. Expresso 2222 - Gilberto Gil
6. The Thousandth and Tenth Day Of The Human Totem Pole - Captain Beefheart

heals. said...

I almost put that Captain Beefheart song on my list! My uncle gave me a mix tape of them when I was 13. And again when I was 16, 18, and 25.

SamuraiFrog said...

Here are mine!

100 Years Ago - Rolling Stones
Care of Cell #44 - Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs
4 AM - Suggs
Swords of a Thousand Men - Tenpole Tudor
1234 - Jack Penate
One Hundred Years from Now (Gram Parsons vocal) - The Byrds

Dale said...

By the numbers, I choose:

2:19 by Tom Waits
40,000 Years B.C. by Gyan
96 Tears by The Stranglers
25 Minutes To Go by Johnny Cash
10 Fingers 11 Toes by The Ponys
5 and 1/2 Minute Hallway by Poe