Thursday, September 27, 2007

Can You Come Out And Play?

Please find enclosed in this post a heartfelt plea to come with me on the playground to swing on the swings, slide down the slide, and kick the kickball around.

I want to have fun. I want YOU to have fun.

I have a nice game where you can have fun, but here's the kicker. The more people play, the more fun. The less people play, the less fun.

I have another blog, Who's In Charge Here?.

I've been trying to get people to visit there. It's not about amassing visits on my hit counter, it's not about generating ad revenue (not having ads is actually a severe handicap on ad revenue). It's about FUN. F-U-N.

This game is easy and hard at the same time. There is no wrong answer. But arriving at what you consider the right answer can require some effort and thinking on your part.

This is the blog in a nutshell:

========================================
Purpose:
Determine a band's leader by analyzing a publicity photo.

Disclaimer:
A band's inclusion on this blog reflects neither an endorsement nor a criticism of its music. This post is merely intended as a spotlight on the inner political workings of a collection of individuals who are in the midst of a cooperative, creative endeavor.

The Process:
You, dear reader, please answer the question, "Who's in charge here?"

After sufficient discussion has taken place, a verdict can then be passed based on a majority vote.
========================================

Where else on the web are you going to be able to vote on Scandinavian death metal band Opeth:



The bootyliciously lovely group Peach Candy



And indie darlings Wilco



The answer is not one single goddamn other place. American Idol? NO WAY.

I sincerely thank all the people that have voted thus far on the bands I have highlighted. To everyone else -- won't you please come out and play?

7 comments:

anandamide said...

ok, i'm headed over there RIGHT THIS SECOND !!!!!!

dguzman said...

Dude, I'm efforting more publicity as we speak.

WICH rawks.

BeckEye said...

Here's what I'm confused about...and I thought I asked this before, but I guess not. Is the person who you circle once all the votes are tallied the REAL leader or just who everyone THINKS is the leader? If it's not the real leader, do you post who the real leader is, or do we create our own leaders in your world?

Splotchy said...

anandamide, you are my best friend.

dguzman, thank you for your rawking efforts!

beckeye, the "Who's In Charge?" feature started on this blog. I initially would post a picture and say who I thought the leader was, based on the photo.

But that's not how it works currently. I honestly don't really care who the leader of a band is outside of the picture I have posted. It's all about interpreting the band photo.

Whoever in the photo the most people vote for is then marked as the leader -- they are who is in charge. It's not a quiz where I tell you if you were right or wrong -- it's more of a collective analysis of the power dynamics of a band picture. That's why it's not as fun when less people play, because I'm trying to get people to give their opinion. The more the merrier, as they say.

Jess Wundrun said...

"Who's In Charge Here" is required viewing for those interested in group think, group dynamics, interpretive communication through spacial body placement, and the replication of facial characteristics most akin to self-identification in the poseur realm of cognistic appreciation.

Or just go pick a guy, it's fun.

Splotchy said...

dammit jess.

If I seek governmental funding for any of my projects, I'm asking you to write my grant proposal.

lulu said...

The Wilco thing throws it all out of whack, because you know Jeff Tweedie is in charge, but he totally doesn't look in charge, so am I now supposed to pick the guy who doesn't look in charge as being the one in charge? This is way too complicated.