Tuesday, April 3, 2007

If You Needed Another Reason To Like The Watchmen

Occasionally, I'll get a minor epiphany, where I'll realize a cool facet about something (usually music/movies/pop culture stuff) that to my knowledge has not been remarked on by someone. So, here's a first post trying to convey my geeky excitement about one of these occasions. Hopefully you get at least 1/3 the pleasure from it as I did.



First of all, if you haven't read the Watchmen, read it.

Okay, now that we have that out of the way, a little background. I used to be big with the comic book collecting and reading, mostly of the superhero variety. I was more into Marvel stuff, Spider-Man mostly.

I stopped collecting comix in the mid-80's. The last comics I bought were a DC mini-series by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons called the Watchmen, which pretty made every other superhero comic look like a big pile of superpoo. The comic is incredibly dense, with many, many references, puns, intricate storylines, all that stuff. It's an impressive piece of work.

Anyways, I had a hankering to reread it again recently, and didn't have the original comics on hand. I was able to obtain a digital copy of it (basically a zipped-up file of jpegs) and in quickly flipping through the images suddenly realized something I had never noticed when I was reading the actual comic.

There is this part where Dr. Manhattan, a very powerful superhero, has his sense of time all messed up, and he starts acting a little goofy as if he is not in complete control of his own actions. So, by flipping through the digitized images of the comic I noticed that in two consecutive pages the artwork is completely different except for two images of Dr. Manhattan, which remain completely still...

This is something I doubt I would never have noticed had I not viewed the comic digitally. For God's Sakes, look at Dr. Manhattan's word balloons in the second detail. Even those are in the same position!





Once again I geekily bow to the feet of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

4 comments:

Dale said...

Of course I missed that but I loved Watchmen, perhaps more now than ever.

Splotchy said...

Dammit, dale, you're digging deep into the Splotchy archives!

I was very excited when I realized the cool thing about the Watchmen, but nobody was really reading my blog at the time.

Thanks for checking it out.

Jim said...

I loved the Watchmen when I read it a couple of years ago. Now that I'm a bit older I'd like to revisit it. Any hints on where to find those jpegs?

Splotchy said...

I believe I found them on a torrent site that no longer exists.