Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Um, Tag, You're It?

Seeing as the traffic to my blog is nearing a fever pitch, I thought I'd try and start one of them taggy things that meme all over the place.

I'm actually providing my own answers below to the questions. Hopefully that's not impolite.

Here goes.

The questions:
What was the first recorded music you bought?
What was the last?
What was the first "professional" music show you ever went to?
What was the last?
What's your "desert island" album?
What's your favorite album/song title? (the *title* which is your fav, not the actual album or song)
What's your favorite album art (include an image of it if you can)?
Ideal choice for a karaoke song?
Song you don't like that WILL NOT LEAVE YOUR HEAD if you hear it.
Which is cooler? -- Vinyl? CD? Cassette? 8-track?



My answers:
What was the first recorded music you bought?
The single of "Mr Roboto" from Styx.


What was the last?
A Tom Ze double-CD, containing the albums Todos Os Olhos and Se O Caso E Chorar


What was the first "professional" music show you ever went to?
I saw Harry Chapin at Sangamon State University in Springfield, IL when I was a kid, back in 1981. Months later, he died. Coincidence?!!

I think the first show I paid for myself was at the Assembly Hall in Champaign, IL, for R.E.M.'s Green tour.


What was the last?
I saw Os Mutantes (among other acts) at 2006's Pitchfork Music Festival.


What's your "desert island" album?
It changes from time to time, but right now it's Moss Elixir by Robyn Hitchcock.


What's your favorite album/song title?
I have two album titles that tie for first.
Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space -- by the band Spiritualized (actually have never even heard this record, just like the title!)
Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On -- by Funkadelic


What's your favorite album art (include an image of it if you can)?
I'm going to have to go with Parliament on this one. On Motor Booty Affair, it might be on the picture disc only, there is this amazing picture of George Clinton dressed up in a cowboy outfit riding dolphins while listening to a boombox. Damn!




Ideal choice for a karaoke song?
I have done karaoke only once, and made the mistake of picking a song that was light on vocals. I know if I do it again it'll be something off of Led Zeppelin IV. Prolly "Stairway To Heaven". It's wall-to-freaking-wall singing.


Song you don't like that WILL NOT LEAVE YOUR HEAD if you hear it.
"Two Princes" by the Spin Doctors ("Just GO ahead now")
The theme song for the kid's show The Wonderpets ("What's gonna work? Teeeeaaammwork!")


Which is cooler? -- Vinyl? CD? Cassette? 8-track?
Vinyl is cooler for the cover art. 8-track is cool for all the chunky clicks it makes when you switch tracks.


Okay, so I tag Bubs and Mizbubs. And you, dear reader. I tag you.

Let the wild stallion that is this meme run free.

7 comments:

Joe said...

Miz was trying to tell me what Spin Doctors song you were talking about, because I just couldn't place it. Then, suddenly, I could. And it sucked.

And I love George Clinton. We should've elected him president.

Splotchy said...

Then, suddenly, I could. And it sucked.

You're welcome! :)

Cup said...

You forgot the best part of the 8-track: how it would clunk to the next track in the middle of a song.

Ah, Robyn Hitchcock. You scored points for the Cup Coolness Chart on that one. Just saw him live in Athens a couple of weeks ago. Still wonderfully weird, with the best head o' hair.

Damn! I wish I'd thought of the Ohio Players for best album covers ...

Splotchy said...

I have yet to see Hitchcock live, but really, really want to.

Thankfully the Jonathan Demme film Storefront Hitchcock exists. Great concert movie. If you haven't seen it, you should.

MostHorrible said...

What was the first recorded music you bought?

I shit you not, it was POISON--Look What The Cat Dragged In

What was the last?

The two Jamie Cullum albums (for my wife). For me, I think it was SO DIVIDED, by the long-ishly titled And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead..., which you'd think would make them a metal band, but doesn't.

What was the first "professional" music show you ever went to?

My uncle took me to Van Halen's 5150 show, after telling my hella conservative parents he was taking me to a Sacramento Kings game. Uncles are fucking awesome.

What was the last?

Christ, it's been so long since I've been to a show...The Reverend Horton Heat, two years ago? Then some small indy-band right after I moved to DC...hmmm...haveta think on that one...

What's your "desert island" album?

In my youth it would've been Queensryche's OPERATION MINDCRIME. HA! Now, The Catherine Wheel's WISHVILLE, or Brand New's THE DEVIL AND GOD ARE RAGING INSIDE YOU.

What's your favorite album/song title? (the *title* which is your fav, not the actual album or song)

Big Black--SONGS ABOUT FUCKING. As a title, that can't really be beat. Then again, I'm the most horrible person ever.

What's your favorite album art (include an image of it if you can)?

I like the cover of The Catherine Wheel's CHROME alot. Dancers underwater and all. No pic, sorry.

Ideal choice for a karaoke song?

I WILL SURVIVE

Song you don't like that WILL NOT LEAVE YOUR HEAD if you hear it?

The Backyardigans Theme Song (fucking 2-year old LOVES that show), The Wonderpets Theme Song, and the godawful chick-with-guitar anthem 'What if God Was One Of Us?' I couldn't wait until the mid-90's chick with guitar phase was over.

Which is cooler? -- Vinyl? CD? Cassette? 8-track?

Vinyl has majesty, and is AWESOME from the physics perspective of it being an actual RECORD of sounds that were occurring in the room at the time of the recording. Cassettes blew, even when they were dominant in the medium. 8-Tracks I have no familiarity with save that my parents' machine was always a)intimidating and b)eating 8-tracks, and CDs are okay, in that they're better than cassettes.

Vinyl, though, if it were convenient and we didn't live in an accelerated culture that values miniaturization and speed of use, would still be the ultimate.


There you go: Meme accomplished.

Splotchy said...

Thanks, man!

I Will Survive is truly a classic in the karaoke medium. Can't go wrong with that.

The Backyardigans theme follows closely behind The Wonderpets theme song as not leaving my head, despite all my efforts.

And it's stuck in my head now.

Dale said...

Wow, I read Bubs' after he tagged me, mentioned the same chunky clicks of the 8 track that you and Beth mentioned. Small chunky weird world.

Nice answers and quiz! Thanks.