Sunday, July 29, 2007

Here's To Music, Here's To Our Piano


We got a piano a few months ago. My sister-in-law had a friend in Oak Park who was looking to unload a piano. Our living room isn't large, but there was room enough for an upright.

In my youth, I took piano lessons for about ten years (starting around when I was five). After my piano lessons ended I taught myself how to play guitar, had a brief stint at the drums, etc., but still played keyboards in a couple of rock bands.

Since my lessons stopped, I never have really taken the time to keep up my chops on the piano (honestly, it was hard enough for me to practice while I was taking lessons, being the lazy cad that I am). After we got our house, my folks offered to give us the piano that I had practiced on in my youth, but the cost of transporting it from Springfield up to our house discouraged us from taking it.

My sister-in-law's friend was gracious enough to give us the piano for free, knowing that it was going to a loving home. We ended up just paying the moving costs, then paid to have it tuned and have some sticky keys fixed. The last time we visited my folks, I hauled back a large box of my old sheet music.

I really hadn't felt posting about the piano until recently. I have recently started digging through some easier pieces that I used to play, and am slowly feeling the cobwebs fall away from my fingers a bit.

I have been practicing Ludwig van Beethoven's Sonatina in F, and these practices have been some of the most pleasurable I have ever had.

I'm so excited about playing piano now. I'm so excited about having children, and seeing if they get bitten by the music bug. Our house is echoing with music-playing, and that's a good thing.

Thank you to my sister-in-law, thank you to her friend, thank you to Mom and Dad.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

3 comments:

Joe said...

That's wonderful! I wish I had ever had the follow-through to learn any instrument. Hannah loves playing her keyboard, she'll be happy to see one in your house next time we're there.

Poon Hound said...

My only regret in life is that I am not musically inclined. I can not play an instrument or sing on any recognizable key and I wish I could.

Splotchy said...

Hannah is welcome to play at our abode any time!

p, there's prolly lots worse things to regret. And there's nothing wrong with trying, and it's never too late, if you have the inclination.