Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I See Your Go-Go's, And Raise You Some Ex-Specials

Simian blogger Dr. Zaius recently posted of his love for the Go-Go's.

A while back I posted a video of a song I love by The Specials.

After The Specials' second album More Specials, singer Terry Hall, along with bandmates Neville Staples and Lynval Golding, left the group to form the Fun Boy Three.

Terry and Jane Wiedlin of The Go-Go's cowrote the song "Our Lips Are Sealed". Both The Go-Go's and Fun Boy Three recorded their own version of this song, though perhaps you are only familiar with The Go-Go's version.

The Fun Boy Three version definitely has a different vibe going on, something more reminiscent of Simple Minds' "Don't You Forget About Me" -- it's not nearly as cheery as the more popular version.

I do really like The Go-Go's, but I genuinely like Fun Boy Three's version better.

But, judge for yourself, why don'tcha?

8 comments:

Allen Lulu said...

I will never forget that day, late 1983, when my new roommate, a gigantor lummox with two waists anmed Eric, who had the best new music record collection, put that single on.
"Hey! What's that go gos song doing? What the??" I asked.
He explained the same thing you did and I have never heard the song the same way again. Weren't they having a transatlantic affair and wrote the song about that?
I can't remember, just that I love Fun Boy's version.
Thanks for that trip down the lane.
Oh, by the way, it's been 26 years since that song hit.
26 years before that song hit Bill Haley and the Comets invented Rock and Roll...
for perspective.

Splotchy said...

Wow, 26 years. That's amazing. I don't think of the 80's as being that long ago.

I actually just learned about the Fun Boy Three song a year ago, so I only know the very basics regarding its origin. I went all this time without knowing its greatness!

You have a knack for putting things in chronological perspective (though I'm more used to you working in seven year increments).

Johnny Yen said...

The Go-Go's and Fun Boy Three wrote that together-- they were touring together.

My stepdaughter loves the Go-Go's version. I played her the Fun Boy Three version,which I prefer, a couple of weeks ago. She still prefers the Go-Go's version.

Coaster Punchman said...

I was not aware of this fact. As a long time fan of Belinda (liked her much better in her slutty days... oh wait, they're still happening) I very much enjoyed seeing this.

Splotchy said...

jy, it's a select few that recognize the genius of the Fun Boy Three's version. Your stepdaughter will see the light someday, I'm sure.

cp, happy to be of service!

Dale said...

I haven't watched the video yet but I've always enjoyed the Fun Boy Three version.

Splotchy said...

I was going to include the real music video they made for the song, but I saw this performance and thought it was much better.

dguzman said...

Wow, I can't wait to see the FBT version! I always loved that scratchy, palm-muted guitar that starts the song in the Go-Go's version.

It's hard to believe it's been that long since the Go-Go's, the early days of MTV (when it didn't suck), and my high school days. Oy vey.