Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Horror Movie Quotes

I'm not sure if Becca is going to continue her beloved Monday movie quote quiz, but since I have horror movies on the brain as of late, I thought I'd do my own scary movie themed one.

Just put your guesses in the comments. Some might be easy, some might be hard. They all share a common thread in that they just happen to be quotes I like a lot.

As the quotes are correctly answered, I'll add a little blurb about each movie.

It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyways -- using the Mighty Internet to answer the quiz questions is both unfair and unfun.

UPDATE:

Two of the movies were not identified. I've highlighted them in red and added their own blurbs.


1. "He was in Luther and Nobody Loves an Albatross and a lot of television plays and commercials." Rosemary's Baby (tenacious s)
This is probably my favorite Roman Polanski film. There are many great quotes from this movie, but I thought I'd go with this one, which Mia Farrow utters many times about her onscreen actor husband Guy Woodhouse -- don't worry Mia, Guy is perfectly capable of promoting his own career. And I always thought John Cassavettes was about integrity and the independent spirit. For shame.


2. "Hey, come on, Barb. Church was this morning. I mean, prayin's for church." Night Of The Living Dead (mob)
"They're coming to get you Barbara!" is the really famous line from this George Romero classic, but I like these lines, that immediately precede it, just as much. She was praying at the grave of a loved one. Man, Barbara's brother was a dick!


3. "That's right... who's laughing now... who's laughing *now*? " Evil Dead II (bubs)
Sometimes this movie seems to have been made primarily to be the horror movie geek's Caddyshack. Almost every line in this movie is enjoyably quotable.


4. "Let them see what kind of a person I am. I'm not even going to swat that fly." Psycho (mob)
I don't know how accurate the science of schizophrenia is in Psycho, but it's really nice to hear Norman Bates' mother have an internal monologue in his head about how gentle a creature she considers herself.


5. "I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality." Alien (Tim)
The lines, delivered by the android Ash (played by the great Ian Holm) are almost a tender moment between himself and Ripley, where he finally expresses himself candidly. Well, tender as a talking android's head sitting in fettucine alfredo can be, I guess.


6. "Nobody... nobody trusts anybody now, and we're all very tired... there's nothing more I can do, just wait..." John Carpenter's The Thing (Tim)
This is one of my favorite movies. Kurt Russell's character MacReady is recording a cassette tape, expressing his feelings of resignation and helplessness. He can't trust anyone, so he's talking to a tape recorder. A nice, quiet moment before all hell breaks loose at the end.


7. "They're here already! You're next! You're next!" Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (bubs)
If you asked me to name a 1950's horror movie, I would only be able to name this one, primarily because I'd immediately start hearing Kevin McCarthy yelling these lines in my head.


8. "Where do you come from? The dust. Where do you go to? The grave." Something Wicked This Way Comes (unidentified)
I don't know how popular this movie is. I saw it on cable in my younger years -- it seemed to show quite often, though I don't recall if it was theatrically released. Jonathan Pryce gives a great, spooky performance as Mr. Dark. The lines above are delivered by Jason Robards to Mr. Dark. It's a nice little movie with some genuine scares -- check it out.


9. "I live in a highly excited state of overstimulation." Videodrome (unidentified)
This line was delivered by Debbie Harry. It's a tribute to (or a criticism of?) David Cronenberg that he can take Debbie Harry in all her hotness and still fully creep the viewer out. Long live the new flesh, just keep it away from my pancakes!


10. "The master will kill you for this! But not fast. Slowly! Oh, so slowly!" Fright Night (Cowboy The Cat)
I love this movie. The above quote is from Evil Ed, but there are so many great quotes in this film. This was a movie where I especially delighted in the actors' delivery of their lines, particularly Chris Sarandon as the main vampire.

17 comments:

Mob said...

2. Night Of The Living Dead
4. Psycho

dguzman said...

I don't think I've watched enough horror movies. However, I'll just throw out a few scary ones from my childhood and see what sticks:

Vampire Circus
Night of the Cobra Woman
Countess Dracula
Rosemary's Baby
Saturday Night Fever

Timothy Donavan Russell said...

I think #5 is Alien, but I'm not sure.

Splotchy said...

mob, nicely done!

d, one of those titles is represented in the quiz, but you haveta be specific about which quote belongs to which movie.

tim, correct!

Diamond Dave Diggler said...

10. This was one of my favorite movies of the 80's mainly because it actually scared me as a kid, and it had Roddy McDowell (Cornelius from Planet of the Apes). Fright NIght!

Joe said...

3--Evil Dead II
4--Psycho
5--Alien or John Carpenter's remake of The Thing
7--Invasion of the Body Snatchers
10--Fright Night

Splotchy said...

cowboy, you are correct!

bubs, nice job! The Thing is represented on this list, but it isn't #5.

Timothy Donavan Russell said...

#6 is John Carpenter's The Thing. It's a Kurt Russell line, if I recall.

Splotchy said...

tim, correct!

McGone said...

Perfect assessment of Evil Dead II. I could see a Splotchy-attributed "The Horror Movie Geek's 'Caddyshack'" blurb on a DVD rerelease.

We should try to make that happen, since a new version of the Evil Dead movies comes out every other month or so.

dguzman said...

OMG, are you serious? One of my movie guesses is right? Okay--I'll say that
#8 is from Rosemary's Baby

Splotchy said...

d, right movie, wrong number!

Tenacious S said...

I got here a little late, but I'm pretty sure that the Rosemary's Baby quote is #1.
That movie was good for a few nightmares as a kid.

Splotchy said...

ten s, right you are!

BeckEye said...

The only ones I knew were already taken. Oh well. I guess I need to watch more horror movies.

Love that Evil Ed. I have yet to see any of Stephen Geoffreys' adult films...and I'm not sure I want to.

Splotchy said...

Stop reminding me of that Beckeye!

Now I have to wash my brain out with soap.

Becca said...

Oh now it's my turn to be too late! I will indeed be restarting the quote quiz...possible tonight actually in a special halloween version, and plan to return to Mondays sometime soon.