Friday, October 12, 2007

Splotchy's Contribution To Geography Pop Quiz

Here's a discussion of my selections for Chris' Geography Pop Quiz, Volume 8 of the Green Monkey Music Project.


View Larger Map

Bob Haggart & Ray Bauduc - Big Noise From Winnetka
I think I first heard this song when my dad played it for me eons ago. Some music he would play for me I'd like, some I wouldn't like. I really dug this song. You might recognize it from the Martin Scorsese film Raging Bull. It was used there, but only briefly.


Bob Dylan - Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again
Off the great album Blonde On Blonde. I find myself often singing the chorus aloud ("Ohhhh mama!").


The Ramones - 53rd & 3rd
Another classic Ramones tune, written by Dee Dee Ramone, supposedly about his time as a male prostitute, trying to earn some money to score drugs. Sadly, Dee Dee is no longer with us. Perhaps he's hustling in that big street corner in the sky now.


Magnetic Fields - Come Back From San Francisco
A nice pretty song from their enormous collection, 69 Love Songs (hey this damned monkey mix is only 8 shy of that!).


Tom Verlaine - Stalingrad
This is a really nice song by the singer/guitarist/songwriter from Television. He has an odd but compelling voice. Off the otherwise unspectacular solo album The Wonder.


Wire - Map Ref. 41N 93W
Oh, I'm so clever! I'm using a song that has map coordinates in its title. This is a strange, catchy pop song off their third album, 154. The location of the map coordinates is about twenty or so miles southeast of Des Moines, Iowa -- I don't know what the significance of that is.


Tino Contreras - Brazil
Brazil is one of the best damned songs ever written. It's just absolutely wonderful. I don't know of a definitive version of the song, but this one is damned tasty.


Thanks again to Chris for guest-hosting this volume. I'm looking forward to other Green Monkey Masters also getting their opportunity to host a mix.

3 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

This is a seriously bad-ass list! You've got some amazing little known but essential songs represented.

Distributorcap said...

great list!
what is the next great list!

Splotchy said...

thanks a lot barbara! coming from you, that's high praise.

dc, it's already in progress! I apologize for the lateness of my reply!