Thursday, November 15, 2007

Miscellaneous Writer's Strike Stuff

Hiya,

I don't know if you have been keeping track of the ongoing writer's strike, but I find it interesting in a variety of different ways.

1. Labor asserts itself against management, usually something I can cheer for.
2. One of the core issues of the strike involves digital rights and online content.
3. I may not get paid for it, I may not be great at it, but through this blog I am an "online writer".

There's some lively intersection that can occur between my tiny blogoworld and the world of these striking writers, I just haven't figured it out yet. There's a way of coming together, of supporting a group of people, but I don't know how to do it. Any ideas are welcome.

I did make an offer to any writers to create a story featuring the iSplotchy, but have only had one taker thus far. Yes, I'm pathetic, I'm glad you pointed that out. I did finally locate the WGA's strike rules (at least for their east coast branch). From what I can tell, I am not a "struck company", so a story featuring the iSplotchy would not constitute a violation of strike rules.

Regardless of the iSplotchy stories about to leap from the pale stubby fingers of the striking scribes (alliteration...suffocating...me), there are some busy online-content-generatin' writers generatin' online content.

Here's a couple links:

A nice little video put together by some Daily Show writers (link via BoingBoing)



Another link of interest: an ongoing writer's strike blog by some Late Show writers (link via Reel Fanatic)


Long Live Labor,



Splotchy

3 comments:

Fran said...

Good post my friend. There is some intersection, is there not?

Not sure if you have seen Darkblack's blog, which is worthwhile for his photoshop mad skillz alone.

However, it is this post most specifically, that I direct you to today. Both videos are worth watching in regard to this topic.

Splotchy said...

Thanks, Fran.

I'll check it out.

Freida Bee said...

That video garneded me several strange looks for laughing out loud in this here engineering bldg. lobby with my headphones. Thanks a lot Spolotchy.

I think the world needs a billion more stories about the iSplotchy and that you deserve to earn at least $2.00 for said articles.