Monday, November 19, 2007

Pretty Much Everything That Is Wrong With Capitalism, Crystallized In A Single Moment

I got up very early on Friday morning, much earlier than I normally do. I decided to go into work.

After I left the train station, and walked to my place of work, I stopped as cars were exiting the Eisenhower expressway to downtown.

In this case, they weren't your average cars, but were three trucks in a line, and looked very similar to this:



If it's not clear to you, the above picture is of a truck that is *not* pulling a container that can haul stuff. All that truck is pulling is a two-sided billboard.

I was witness to what I assume was the beginning of a long day of driving for these trucks. Their drivers were given the task of weaving through busy sections of Chicago to advertise -- that's it, just advertisement, for it's own sake.

I've always said increased traffic congestion, environmental pollution and dependence on foreign oil were signs of a great ad.

7 comments:

kim said...

Hey Splotch,

Believe it or not, part of my job is to come up with strategic placement of these travelling billboards for my clients.

It's disgusting.

Dale said...

Have you seen the ones the have a large triangular revolving ad on them? Just lovely.

dguzman said...

There's one of those trucks in State College sometimes, only it's got one of those anti-abortion ads on it, complete with way-too-mature-to-be-aborted fetuses (feti?) passed off as aborted ones.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Zing!

vikkitikkitavi said...

I get so angry every time I see one of those things. LA should pass an ordinance banning them.

Coaster Punchman said...

I'd agree. That is aggravating.

Splotchy said...

kim, you have my sincerest condolences. I hope someday someone realizes this kind of ad campaign is by its definition absolutely batshit insane.

dale, I haven't yet had the pleasure.

d, it's nice they take an offensive concept and marry it with offensive imagery. Synergy!

dr mvm, maybe I should pay to have an anti mobile-truck ad on one of the mobile-trucks.

vikkitikkitavi, I can't imagine how many there are driving around your neck of the woods. Oh, and welcome to me blog! I've blogrolled you (seen you around and liked your stuff, just never made the commitment).

cp, does NYC have a lot of this crap?