Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Now It Can Be Told

I was all hush-hush and stuff about why I stopped doing the Green Monkey Music Project, which in retrospect I guess was a little silly.

If you care to read why I stopped, here's a great post about a former, wonderful community and its sad demise.

When Pigs Fly: The Death of Oink, the Birth of Dissent, and a Brief History of Record Industry Suicide

I'm *still* bummed out about it. It was a wonderful thing, and revived my interest in new music, old music, everything. It actually motivated me to purchase music, something I hadn't done since my eldest kids were born.

There was a lot of negative press about this site after its owner/admin was busted, but I think it was a shining example of what the Internet can accomplish -- feel free to argue with me, there are many valid arguments to the contrary, I know.

Whatever more I could say about it is already said more eloquently in the linked post.

4 comments:

BeckEye said...

I have some friends who used Oink all the time. It was a very cool service. I never asked them to invite me because this computer is my roommate's and he doesn't want programs downloaded to it. But I had them download and send me quite a few albums. :)

Good article. I couldn't agree more with all points.

dguzman said...

Aw man, the work filters say that link has "sexual content" -- which of course just makes me want to read it even more.

Can't wait to get home and read the article.

Joe said...

Oink was glorious, and we all mourn its passing.

And I agree with you about the downloading inspiring you to purchase music you wouldn't have bought.

Dale said...

That was a lengthy but eloquent piece of writing on the whole situation.

Selfishly, I'm more disturbed about the end of Green Monkey than Oink but thanks for the link just the same.