Sunday, July 22, 2007

Who's In Charge Here? - A Day Away

Purpose: Determine a band's leader by analyzing a publicity photo.

Disclaimer: A band's inclusion on this blog reflects neither an endorsement nor a criticism of its music. This post is merely intended as a spotlight on the inner political workings of a collection of individuals who are in the midst of a cooperative, creative endeavor.

A change in the process:
We're going to try a new wrinkle on this feature. Before today, I have made pronouncements on high as to the leader of the respective bands I have posted. I now open the floor for comments, and attempt to engage you, dear reader, to answer the question, "Who's in charge here?"

After sufficient discussion has taken place, a verdict can then be passed.


Band: A Day Away
Genre: Pop Punk
Website:http://www.myspace.com/adayawayband


The Verdict (UPDATED!)

Well, apparently I inferred the wrong guy from J.D.'s comment, then justacoolcat came along and also submitted "hat guy", so, I am going to have to adjust the verdict accordingly.

Please bear with us. We are apparently having some technical difficulties.

If you're still seeing black shirt dude as the leader, just refresh the page. After the refresh, hat guy should be marked as the driving force behind A Day Away.

16 comments:

J.D. said...

Middle guy on in the second row.

lulu said...

I agree.

Tenacious S said...

Dude with the hat?

Andy said...

I'll go for the chubby bloke on the left - he's not in uniform and he's not looking at the camera but instead checking that the rest of the band are behaving in the required moody/sneery manner...

Either that or he was just passing by and snuck into the photo as a gag!

Jess Wundrun said...

hat guy

Splotchy said...

Very interesting...

No one has picked either of the two guys I was thinking. This exercise is a much more delicate art than I first thought.

For me, I felt the dude in the green shirt seems most emotionally invested in locking eyes with the camera -- it means the most to him, and I felt he was trying to assert authority via his gaze.

The guy sitting directly behind him is copping a bit of an attitude. He's engaging the camera, but he really doesn't need it.

I was thinking the green shirt guy asserts his authority, but the guy behind him (if he already isn't) will morph into the leader.

Still, I would vote for green shirt guy.

But I bow to democracy. So far, I believe the tally is:

Black shirt guy: 2 votes
Hat dude: 2 votes
Chubby bloke: 1 vote
Green shirt guy: 1 vote

We're going to need one or more votes to break the current tie.

Manx said...

I'm going to go with the green/blue shirt guy. Per volume, he takes up the most room in the photo, he is also the closest to the top of the frame (giving him the position of authority), and his appearance screams of O.C. cred.

Splotchy said...

manx, if it will result in a verdict, I'll go with your vote, 'cause that guy was my backup.

But even with my vote added to yours, it's a 3-way tie.

Timothy Donavan Russell said...

Maybe they're egalitarian?

Black shirt guy is in charge but eventually green/blue shirt, as Splotchy said, will morph into the leader.

J.D. said...

Wait, I'm confused -- I said the guy in the hat, who is the middle guy on the second row. Uh...

Splotchy said...

All, please be patient as we work the kinks out of this integral feature of the Splotchy brand.

justacoolcat said...

Wrong. Hat guy.

Splotchy said...

Duly noted.

Please note that Hat Guy has now been identified as leader, based on a majority vote.

Jess Wundrun said...

You could also know that it is hat guy by going to MySpace and watching 'hat guy' sing all the out loud words in the video.

Just sayin'.

BTW-I voted hat guy and then went to see their video. I would never unethically check and then vote. Really.

Splotchy said...

Wow, jess!

I honestly thought green-shirt dude was in charge.

The system works! Yay for democracy!

Anonymous said...

I know this band. The hat guy is the lead singer but the guy on the furthest left side (he's looking at the hat guy) is actually the driving force of the band