Thursday, August 2, 2007

Who's In Charge Here? - Rasputina

Purpose: Determine a band's leader by analyzing a publicity photo.

Disclaimer: A band's inclusion on this blog reflects neither an endorsement nor a criticism of its music. This post is merely intended as a spotlight on the inner political workings of a collection of individuals who are in the midst of a cooperative, creative endeavor.

The Process:
You, dear reader, please answer the question, "Who's in charge here?"

After sufficient discussion has taken place, a verdict can then be passed based on a majority vote.


Band: Rasputina
Genre: Indie, with possible goth or Renaissance Faire nuances
Website:http://www.myspace.com/rasputina


The Verdict (UPDATED!)

Okay, enough time has elapsed, methinks, to render a verdict. Goddammit. Did I just say "methinks"? Oh, these crazy medieval-dressing troubadours, they have all my four humours in a churned-up state.

Jin gave what I would call a half-hearted vote to the dude, qualifying it by indicating that his authority was really only in his mind. I'm afraid that I can't count that as a full vote, as the leadership question is still somewhat open to interpretation with her delicately-phrased comment.

Manx, without hesitation or concern for his personal safety, picked the fair lady on the left.

Although Bubs brought some very relevant information to the table, he left his vote back at the SRC (that stands for Sprawling Ramshackle Compound -- be forewarned, he'll use that acronym from time to time).

Surprisingly, kristi did not vote, despite the fact that she is apparently in this band (that's her on the right).

So, with one vote, girl on the left with the weird white lines and curly hair and/or ribbons wins.

8 comments:

jin said...

I think the guy *thinks* he is in charge.

I think he's going to get tired fast though. Then the two chicks will make off with his van, band equipment & wallet.

Joe said...

Wow. That's the first time I've ever seen them. They were recently at the Abbey Pub and I almost went with Nora, but she got sick. She and Hannah are big fans.

Christ, they sure sound a lot better than they LOOK. They're kind of a cello-based punk rock band.

Splotchy said...

jin, I think as long as he doesn't lose his beard garnishments, he'd be okay with that.

bubs, crazy... I have been randomly looking for bands on myspace, and didn't realize it would happen so quickly that I'd include a band someone was familiar with. Of course, I'm kinda out of touch with the current music scene, so what the hey do I know. Don't be too hard on their appearance. Maybe they are contractually obligated to dress like that.

Manx said...

My Choice: Sandy blond woman with the ribbons(I think)in her hair. She's facing the camera directly, she's clocking that intelligent hotness and has that "why aren't you listening to us yet, you tool?" look.

I don't think it's the sweet Drew Barrymore girl but she may sleep with ribbon chica's boyfriend or girlfriend.

The guy looks like a cool prop to me. Nothing against him at all but I have not listened to any of their music and am going off this photo only. I would bet he's probably the bass player. He seems mostly harmless and knows he's not going to be the focus of the picture for most, just the comic relief after people feast on the other two.

Splotchy said...

manx, nicely thought out!

anandamide said...

i know it's too late to vote now, but i would have voted for the dude. he's looking away because in the hippy world it's considerd "bad karma" or "a shitty buzz" to look all agressively in control. but i can tell...

if he's not in control, he's the drummer (because he's 8-feet tall like Mick Fleetwood)

anandamide said...

...although actually, here's another possibility. the band is named "Rasputina" because one of the girls is named Tina, which makes her leader.

Splotchy said...

anandamide, now that the vote is over, I feel I can go back to their site for some more information.

Unfortunately, no one is listed in the band as having the name "Rasputina".

However, regarding your other thought, the dude *is* the drummer. That's a nice eye for rock 'n roll you have!