Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I Could Not Imagine This 25 Years Ago

Continuing the celebration of January Is Meme Month, a tag from Bubs:

He modified it a bit from how he received it, and actually made it a little easier for me to answer -- list five things I did not foresee in the future 25 years ago.

So, that's 1983. Here are five things.

  • Playing with computers for a living - When I was goofing around with graphics programs on the Apple II in junior high, it never occurred to me that I could make a living at computers. It turns out you can!

  • Star Trek communicators in the hands of everyday people -- The coolest thing about the original Star Trek series (aside from the velour shirts) was Kirk whipping out his communicator on a strange planet to tell Scotty to beam him up. And now we have cellphones. Goddamn cellphones.

  • Michael Jackson a freak of nature? - In '83, I picked up Michael Jackson's wonderful album Thriller. Sure, on the cover his nose looked a little skinnier than it did on the cover of Off The Wall, but what's a little plastic surgery to a famous entertainer? To each their own!

  • Jim Henson is dead. Keith Richards is alive. - I am still confused and saddened by this.

  • Twins! - I had not dated anyone yet at this point in my life, though I was hopeful someone would eventually find me non-unappealing. And sure, I thought to myself, I might meet-someone-get-married-have-children, that was definitely within the realm of possibility. But twins, that I had not thought of. Hey, that reminds me, it's the twins' fifth birthday today! Happy Birthday, B&E (no, their names are not Breaking and Entering, smartass)!

12 comments:

dguzman said...

Good ones. I can't believe we're all even alive. I was certain I was finally going to finish my thesis and then we were all going to die in a fiery nuclear bombing, thanks to Ray-gun accidentally hitting The Button instead of calling for his "mommie" nurse.

Rider said...

Keith Richards has proven himself to be a force of friggin' nature. He will survive us all and mate with the roaches.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Happy birthdays spawn of Splotchy!

Some Guy said...

Happy Birthday Bert and Ernie!

Joe said...

Yes! Happy birthday to the twins...

Echoing what dguzman said, i was just having a conversation with my eldest brought on by this meme, encouraging her that things weren't that bad now, and reminding her that I lived through a time when nucular war seemed like a very real possibility under Reagan.

Cup said...

I heart Keef. I'm glad he's still with us and will never die.

Dale said...

Happy Birthday Bunny & Esquivel!!

Unknown said...

I can't believe the Keith Richard thing either and happy birthday to the twins, bill and eddie.

Fran said...

Happy Birthday Splotchy Twins!

GETkristiLOVE said...

And when Captain Kirk put a little diskette into the ship's computer and data was read aloud from it - I never thought I'd see that sort of thing in my day either.

Coaster Punchman said...

Are you sad that Keith Richards still lives & breathes or merely surprised? I think the whole drug thing may just be an act. He's really a Mormon.

Coaster Punchman said...

Oh and happy belated to the kids!