Saturday, January 26, 2008

My Problem With Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

So I have kids, and I sing a lot, so I sometimes sing kid songs out of the blue.

I have noticed I consistently mess up the the last few lines of Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, and for the life of me can't remember the right lyrics when I'm singing.

Here's the correct last few lines:
Then all the reindeer loved him
as they shouted out with glee,
Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer,
you'll go down in history!



Here's what I sing:
Then all the other reindeer
Who used to laugh and call him names...


Then I'm stuck. I know Rudolph goes down in history, but I don't know how to get there from the reindeer who used to laugh at him.

Seriously, Rudolph is supposed to forget over the course of one song that all those reindeer who made him miserable are now all nice and buddy-buddy with him?

I don't think so. And I'm not going to believe this song has a happy ending. Screw those other reindeer.

11 comments:

kim said...

Yep, if those reindeer come on my roof, they are going to be my dinner. Screw 'em.

Dr. Zaius said...

Rudolph forgave the other reindeer because he was filled with rich, creamy Vel-Jesus-Veeta.

Distributorcap said...

then rudolph was just lucky enough to be standing next the north pole one christmas when the pole came down in a terrorist blaze from those darn walruses.

he became identified with 12/25. when he campaigned for head reindeer, all he did was invoke 12/25, 12/25

GETkristiLOVE said...

I only ever remember the next line because I wondered as a kid what kind of games reindeer would play.

Coaster Punchman said...

I agree. Rudolph went into a cave and started cutting before Santa finally coaxed him to ride with them. The song is totally unrealistic.

BeckEye said...

My dad screws up "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" all the time. He always starts off with:

You better not shout
You better not pout
You better not cry
I'm telling you why


He messes up most songs, come to think of it. I still love him though.

Mob said...

Yeah, I agree completely, but 'Rudolph the quietly boiling cauldron of rage' doesn't have the same catchy Rankin-Bass feel to it.

The other reindeer better sleep with one eye open, I don't care how buddy-buddy he might seem to them, no one lets things go that easily.

dguzman said...

I have ALWAYS wondered why Rudolph didn't tell Santa, "Look, old man. You and your other reindeer have been assholes to me, and you can stick your sleigh sideways. Me and Clarice gotta go get busy now. Buh-bye."

Jess Wundrun said...

If Leiberman and McCain can give reacharounds to Bush and the rest of the republicans after all that was done to them, it makes sense that little whiny nihilistic Rudolph could suddenly suck up to all the other reindeer.

I'd have stayed happily on the isle of misfit toys, thank you.

Moderator said...

I always thought his elf friend - the one that wanted to be a dentist - was a more compelling character.

Splotchy said...

kim, let me know if you come up with a good recipe.

dr z, you should get together with kim.

dc, never forget.

GKL, mostly tetherball.

CP, I always thought the heat miser was the cutter. Rudolph too?!! Oh, mercy.

beckeye, I screw up those lyrics too.

mob, that reminds me, I think Mad TV *did* do an angry Rudolph Rankin-Bass parody. It was pretty funny, if I am remembering right.

D, I just can't imagine in my head that sweet Rudolph voice saying the word "asshole".

jess, staying on the land of misfit toys? This is why I love you.

grant, MizSplotchy and I have much affection to the dentist. If there was a spinoff, we'd watch it.