Friday, January 4, 2008

A Question

I originally sent this question to Dr. Monkey for his January Q&A feature, but thinking more and more about it, I'd really like to know how anyone who reads this blog would answer it.

I think it's really a difficult question, and I don't have a good answer to it. Maybe one/some/all of you do.

Here it is:


There are three major candidates for an upcoming presidential race.

Candidate A shares some of your principles, but doesn't share others. Some of the principles that Candidate A does not share with you are a little bothersome to you. You think A would make an okay president, but you have your doubts.

Candidate B is virtually the polar opposite to you with regards to the principles you hold. You are relatively certain that Candidate B's presidency will have a negative effect on the country in a variety of ways, but you are not sure to the degree of this negative effect.

Candidate C seems in agreement with virtually all of your principles. They have interesting ideas, and address issues not dealt with by Candidates A or B. You believe that Candidate C would make a good president, and have a positive effect on the country.

Candidate A and B together have the majority of the vote. A and B's campaign are in a dead heat. The projected votes are split evenly between them.

Candidate C is a distant third.


The question is, assuming you are going to vote for one of the candidates, who do you vote for? Assume I disagree with whatever your choice is, and try to convince me to vote for your candidate.



If you have the hankering to grapple with this question, it might be more appropriate to put up your own post in response to the question, rather than add your thoughts as a potentially large comment on this post (if you want to deal with it on your own blog, I'll happily link to your post). Either way, whether it's by comment or separate blog post, I welcome your thoughts and opinions.

10 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Short answer: A.

Unknown said...

Have you been watching the "Wrath of Kahn"? Your question seems like the no win scerio.

I will have to get back to on this one. I have not had my daily personal southern spoon feeding yet.

Unknown said...

Sorry about the spelling, too many letters and all,

Joe said...

it depends. If candidate "B" was George Bush in 2004, or any GOP candidate now, then the answer is I'd vote for candidate "A"

If candidate "A" is Obama, and "B" is Clinton, then I'd vote for "C" if it's John Edwards.

Cup said...

If you're talking primaries, my vote would definitely go to Candidate C, in the hopes that s/he would get the recognition s/he deserves.

If you're talking the general election, I'd vote for Candidate A. Nader pulled some much-needed Dem votes, thus keeping Bush in the White House.

Diamond Dave Diggler said...

Splotch, this happened to me back in 2004. I was loving everything coming out of Ralph Nader's mouth, but I lived in a state where it was close between Kerry and Bush. Long story short, I voted for Kerry. Even thogh Kerry won my state, I felt crappy about voting for the lesser of two evils, and I won't make that mistake again. If Nader runs again, even if John Edwards is the Democratic candidate, I'm going to seriously consider voting for him knowing full well that he won't win. I think we have to start putting out money (votes) where our mouths are and just get behind the candidate we like, not the candidate that can win. That's the way it's been with our outdated 2 party system and it doesn't move the country forward at anything faster than a snail's pace.

Signed, Sick and Tired in SIL

love ya.

Splotchy said...

I understand the whole "Depends" reasoning, but I tried my best to word the question to have it be more of a hypothetical problem. I realize that it is a hard thing to separate a political question from current events -- maybe it's near impossible.

I'm going to do a follow-up post on this question after people have had time to weigh in. I am really so grateful for all the comments thus far.

Oh, and to mathman:
KHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Manx said...

Assassinate "A" so "C" can claim their rightful spot.

How's that for your Kobayashi Maroo!

Distributorcap said...

sadly this is easy
it is always the lesser of two evils -- so A

that is because we have stacked system that really doesnt work

Fran / Blue Gal said...

C. I for one decided after the Virginia Tech shootings that, in a democracy, we are required to vote our conscience. I'm too old and life is too short to do otherwise. I like what some Kucinich people are saying, "If you never vote your heart, your heart always loses."